Storytelling for Toddlers: Help Your Child Talk With His Own Stories

Twitter buddies have been tweeting about bedtime stories. Most toddlers seem to like the made up ones best. 

Sometimes,  mums and dads worry about whether they can make up 'good enough' stories. So to prove how easy it is, here's one I prepared earlier.

Kids love repetition and it helps them learn language skills. This story is as simple as can be. Start it off, and your toddler will soon join in.

Go ahead and add your own variations, using your own child's name. 

You'll soon find your own stories are better!


Aunt Jemima's Cakes





Nick woke up one morning feeling excited. His Aunt Jemima was coming to tea. 

"She likes cakes" he thought. "We'll have cakes for tea." Nick liked cakes, too! "I'll go to the shops straight away." 

And he ran off, forgetting to make a list of the things he would need. 


He ran as fast as he could, and bought some flour. He ran home again and put it in his mixing bowl. 

"Oh dear," he said. "I bought the flour but I forgot the chocolate."

He ran back to the shop and bought some chocolate. He ran home again and put it in his mixing bowl. 

"Oh dear, " he said. "I bought the flour and the chocolate but I forgot the butter."


He ran back to the shop and bought some butter. He ran home again and put it in his mixing bowl.

"Oh dear," he said. "I bought the flour and the chocolate and the butter but I forgot the eggs."

He ran back to the shop and bought the eggs... and so on. You get the picture!

Keep going, adding new items for the cakes and repeating them all in a list each time.

Finally, go for a big finish.

At last Nick was very hot and tired, but he had all the things he needed for Aunt Jemima's cakes. He had the flour, the chocolate, the eggs, the milk, the sugar ....etc.

He made the cakes, then looked at the calendar.

"Oh bother" he said. "Aunt Jemima isn't coming today at all - she's coming next week."

"Never mind, I'll just have to eat all the cakes myself."


And so he did. 
................



What stories do your toddlers like? I'd love to know. Use the contact me button to get in touch or just leave a comment on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave your comment here:

I write this Communication Blog